Daily Prompt: Third From the Top
This day’s Daily Post reads: Head to “Blogs I Follow” in the Reader. Scroll down to the third post in the list. Take the third sentence in the post, and work it into your own.
The door swung opened and slammed into the sidewall with a thud. Heavy footsteps stormed in. “Kato, we have a secret mission.” Luthor stood panting and sweating. He must have run all the way.
Just a bit annoyed, Kato sighed deeply.
“And everything seemed to be going so well,” she muttered. “Just a little time off. Is that too much to ask for?”
“This is serious,” the Luthor said.
Kato turned to face her intruder.
Today, he was a big man, the size of a black bear. He had thick black, curly hair, a week-old stubble that needed shaving, a flannel shirt, and blue-jean overalls. He looked like a farmer or a lumberjack, not an intergalactic spy.
“Didn’t I kill you already?” she asked.
He rolled his eyes. “Three times I think, but I like this look.”
“No accounting for taste, really,” Kato said. She returned to her project at hand.
“What are you doing?” He moved in closer for a look.
“I’m painting my toenails.” She pulled her leg up, gently rested her foot on the table, and wiggled her toes. “Hot pink, what do you think?’
“You don’t have toenails,” Luthor snorted. “I don’t believe it, you’re painting your talons. Why?”
“Let’s face it, this is not the worst thing you’ve caught me doing.”
“No, but it’s the most ridicules thing I’ve ever seen you do.”
She slammed her foot down. The stone cracked with the impact.
“Fine.” Kato stood and straightened her uniform. “What’s the mission?”
“We have to gather information on the new guy,” Luthor said. “Where is he from, and what he is him purpose for being here.”
Kato placed both hands on the desk as she leaned towards him. Chasing after some freak was not her idea of a mission. “Listen, Mr. Luthor, maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?”
“He demolishes building by flying through them. He destroys crops with his laser vision. I don’t think he is just passing through.”
“Maybe he has a reason,” she said.
“I don’t know, maybe he thinks he’s some sort of hero.”
“You think he might be a hero?” he asked skeptically.
She straightened with shrugged. “I still believe in heroes. Maybe he does too. We should talk to him and find up what he is up to.”
“Capture and interrogate,” he said, with a wicked smile. “I like it.”
“I’ve seen how you interrogate.” Kato snorted. “I don’t like.”
“Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon,” Luthor said, with all seriousness.
“So talking to him is out of the question,” Kato crossed her arms and stared at him as if she were the superior. “We should just blow him up. It’s less messy and a whole lot easier.”
Luthor turned to leave. Clearly he was not in the mood for her games.
“Hey, bub, I’m not finished with you yet,” she called after him.
He didn’t stop, look back, or comment. He was on a mission.
“Fine.” Kato disappeared and appeared on the front porch before Luthor reached the door.
“You want him blown up, I’ll blow him up.” Kato breathed fire, spread her wings, and leaped into the air.
Luthor changed into an eagle and flew after her. “I don’t want him killed, I just want him detained for questioning.”
“No problem. I’ll have him blown up in no time.”
Luthor sighed. Just a moment a go he was a hero. How quickly Kato’s moods changed. He quite often had difficulty keeping up with her thought patterns. “It’s for the best,” he mussed. “The moment you think you know what’s going on in a woman’s head is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked.”
- Daily Prompt: Third From the Top | Of Glass & Paper
- Infinity Loop | paul scribbles
- Daily Prompt: Like a Big Brother | Lines by Linda
- Daily Prompt: Third from the Top « Mama Bear Musings
- Calgon, Take me Away! | Lydablogger
- Spooky co-incidence for the 3rd of the 3rd! | Prompt Queen
- Have you helped anyone recently? | Daily Prompt: Third From the Top | likereadingontrains
- Loyal To Albert Gall (Short story) | The Jittery Goat
- Ad Infinitum Nauseum | The Daily Dilly Dally
- Work in progress. | thoughtsofrkh
- Celebration | A Sign Of Life
- Daily Prompt: Third from the top | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Third From The Top Is A Strange Request | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Third From the Top | Drunkenness Perfume | C Tonight
- Third | Hope* the happy hugger
- Where The Free Software Movement Went Wrong (And How To Fix It) | The Nameless One
- Bumps in the Road | Conversations
- It’s the simple things that count… | Learning, Running, and Creating
- Daily Prompt: Third From the Top | The Blogging Path